Sunday, May 09, 2004

Mother's Day

I've had a good one. Nothing really special happened, but I do have a deep sense of God's goodness to me, both as a person and as a mother. Every Christmas my kids ask me, "What do you want for Christmas?" And every year I say, "Good kids." That leads to comments like, "What do you really want?" or "Well, that ain't gonna happen, so what is second on your list?" Thanks be to God, I do have good kids. They all love him. Now I have to trust him to care for them as they separate from me and move further into their own lives.

Not everyone is as fortunate as me: in church today we heard of H's family yesterday shutting off life support and watching her leave this world, a week after a stroke. And sadder still, a mother younger than me telling that she doesn't know where her daughter is. They've asked the police to help locate her. And my own mom, grieving the recent loss of her mother, although grandma lived long and died short.

Mothering is a very strong instinct, in my opinion. What does it mean to mother? Bearing your own children is one thing it means, but even more so, I think it means taking care of things. No, it means taking care of living things--plants, animals, and especially people. I guess it also involves the concept of dependence; a mother is someone whom other living things depend on for their well being. Women who never marry still need to take care of living things.

No comments: