Monday, September 13, 2004

I'm a Conservative (take 2)


I bet you thought I meant a political conservative. What I really meant is more like "I'm a conserver." I don't like to throw things away. No, I'm not a pack rat. I don't like to throw things away if they can be reused, or better yet, repurposed. I don't like to waste things

My favorite cookbook has a section in it called "Gather up the fragments." This, of course, refers to Jesus feeding the 5000. He didn't want to waste things either.

Here is a list of things I do or have done to not waste things. Can you add others?
  • My son wanted to throw away a hooded sweatshirt that he had torn. I washed it, repaired it, and will add it to the winter coat drive when the weather gets cold.
  • The boys in this house are too lazy to use their coins, so I counted them and put them in rolls, and deposited $22.50 into R's account "for free."
  • I save the broken tortilla chips at the bottom of the bag, then use them to top Mexican casserole.
  • If I accidently take too many napkins from McDonald's, I bring them home and use them.
  • I aways tear the dryer sheets in half so a box lasts twice as long.
  • A few years ago, I found a discarded evening gown so I remodelled it into a prom dress for my daughter.
  • Today I spent the afternoon refilling ink jet printer cartridges.




No comments: