Monday, September 05, 2005

Outsmarted by a Rodent

When we went to Andrew's wedding we had someone looking after our house, but we decided the cat could live outside during the week we were away. While the cat was away, the mice came in to play. I'm assuming these creatures must be small, judging by the size of their calling cards (isn't that a cute euphemism?). And while cleaning a couple days ago, I found nine pecans in my sewing drawer. Did I put pecans in my sewing drawer?? I asked myself. Why did I put them there?? After considerable cogitation on this matter I finally realized that no, it must be a critter about twice the size of the pecan who put them there. What industrious creatures.

So last night I set a mouse trap. I used peanut butter and put one of those pecans beside it just to make it look even more appealing. Today the peanut butter and the pecan are gone, the trap unsprung. I'm a failure.

3 comments:

Ma Hoyt said...

No you're not! Keep using the peanut butter. You have to be tenacious.

Mice are tricky. What kind of trap are you using? Right now I have some from Wal-Mart that are nice, in that you don't have to touch the little dead furball unlatch it from the trap. But, they are very sensitive and sometimes spring when you set them on the floor.

VERY IMPORTANT!! Set trap perpendicular to wall, where you know they go. They usually travel along the perimeters...

Also, sometimes I set two traps right beside each other, in case they set off the first and think they are home free....I can be sneaky, too :-)

How do you feel about "finishing them off?" 'cause, I've had to do this SEVERAL times.

MoM said...

Another trick is to wedge a piece of nut or cracker into the metal thingy before applying peanut butter. They may lick all they like but when they try to dislodge the harder tasty item it will almost always spring the trap. I have also found that you can reuse the traps but sometimes it is best to empty the trap from previous victory, then pour boiling water over the trap and let dry. (This is not to steralized the trap but to delete any odor left from the previous visitors), reset and reuse. Good hunting

Thainamu said...

Wow, a couple of experts! I will try your tips and not give up!