Thursday, November 03, 2005

Is There Just One Right Person to Marry?

After the wedding reception we hosted for my son and his new beautiful bride last August, an old friend asked me, "Do you still think there is just one right person for everyone?" I paused, then said, "I used to think so, and I'd still like to think so, but that position isn't logically defensible."

My husband never did think this way, and it used to kind of make me mad. I wanted him to think I was the one and only person for him. After 20+ years of marriage, he wrote me a song, "You're The Only One For Me." How can I be mad at someone who sings to me??

Sometimes I read blogs of random people, and I found this post on the site of a young man who at one time attended LeTourneau University. He's a decent writer, but I don't even know if he is a believer. He wrote:

For a long time I labored under the idea that there were dozens, perhaps hundreds of women that I could end up with and live my life with and be happy with. I'm starting to change my mind. As my marriage enters its third month, I'm constantly reminded how wonderful a person my wife is. She seems to be the perfect choice for me. Beautiful, fun, smart and a great cook. I don't see how there could ever be anyone else this perfect for me. She's the one and only. And I'm hers. How awesome is that?

(Freakin' awesome, that's what it is!)

My daughter recently asked me the same question. She said, "I guess there could be more than one person, but somehow it just doesn't feel that way." I still think logically there must be more than one person you could marry, but emotionally, we all want to think we are a unique shape that fits into someone else's unique shape.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Beautiful, fun, smart and a great cook"---sounds like the perfect wife for any man! ;-D They are sooo still in the honeymoon period. But I too prefer to think that God creates two unique shapes that are intended to fit together. After all, Rebekah was "the one whom you [God] have appointed for your servant Isaac (Gen. 24:14). Then again, there's the whole Leah/Jacob/Rachel mess... And "I thought you were the right one but now I know you are not" could be a convenient excuse for breaking a marriage commitment.

GrammaMack

Anonymous said...

And "I thought you were the right one but now I know you are not" could be a convenient excuse for breaking a marriage commitment.

This is my biggest argument against the "one man/one woman" theory. It is my belief that any two people who are dedicated to God and to their marriage can make that marriage work. Of course, one could argue that God pre-ordained you to marry whoever you are married to, but I can definitely think of marriages that should not have happened but that the couple had to make the best of after making a poor decision.

One thing I can say personally though is that I have never known a girl who can deal as well with my manifold faults as the girl I am dating now, and would have a hard time imagining that I could be fortunate enough to find a second such girl anywhere in the world.

Thainamu said...

GrammaMack, your opening sentence made me laugh--you've got a point!

Atanamis, I didn't know you were reading my blog. I completely agree with what you said, and I want to completely reiterate what I told you last July--don't let her get away!!