Saturday, April 07, 2007

Living and Dying

It seems like today's topic should be about life and death. Primarily, Christ's death, which is on our minds this Holy Saturday. My emails this week brought the news of several deaths--a woman from my high school class, a father and a brother of friends. I sympathize with the sorrow and sadness that my friends feel at their personal loss, even as I'm also reminded of my own grandmother who passed away on Good Friday three years ago, while I was at the theater seeing The Passion of the Christ.

I suppose most blogs don't talk about death because most blogs are written by people too young to be very acquainted with death. Their time will come, if they live that long.

Death makes a good backdrop to talk about life. Today's email also brought news of a birth and the joy this new life was bringing. I have purposely cut off the head of this smiling man as he proudly holds his new child in one arm and his new grandchild in the other. His child is the older one, obviously. ;-)

Lastly today, if you need some good music to start tomorrow, try my favorite Easter Song It sounds best when your speakers are maxed out. :-) (Actually, I have the recording--I don't really know how that Rhapsody download thing works, but you could try it if you don't have the song yourself.)

2 comments:

Caleb Bell said...

Seriously? Is the child adopted? How old is he?

Thainamu said...

Very seriously. In fact, I'm pretty sure you are acquainted with one or two of the child's 9 older siblings, since she/he graduated a year or two below you at DHS.

Actually, this kind of thing was fairly common in the olden days (read that: when I was your age). In the olden days people got married around age 19-20, and it is possible for a woman to continue to be fertile well into her forties.

But it can mean having an aunt or uncle who is younger than you!