Thursday, December 06, 2007

Silence

I'm feeling just a little grumpy at the moment, so I probably shouldn't be writing at all. Sometimes I do this, then save my post as a draft and forget all about it.

This morning I sent out 30 letters. Last week it was 100+ emails. That's not really a big deal. I do it 3-4 times a year as part of my job. Most people do it it once a year at Christmas. But that process got me thinking about how often it happens to me that I attempt to communicate, and get no response.

It annoys me, but I should have learned by now to get over it. I suppose my mistake is thinking that people really should respond; and when they don't, I take it personally. I've concluded that while no one really dislikes me, they don't really have the motivation to respond, either. I'm important to them, just not that important!

Somehow it bothers me regardless of the form my communication takes--email, blog, forum, phone message, mail, in person.

I especially am annoyed when I send a gift to someone and receive no acknowledgment or thanks. I suppose the recipient either thinks (1) "she will understand that I don't have time or energy to respond," (2) "I'll get around to it soon," or (3) nothing.

I saw a bumper sticker once that I should take to heart: You'd worry less about what people think of you if you realized how seldom they do.

Everyone has their own life; I need to expect less. Then I won't get hurt.

(And of course, if you do communicate with me, THANK YOU! I APPRECIATE IT!!)