Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Is Everyone In a Bad Mood?

It seems like many people with whom I have normal interaction are going through sizable amounts of stress at the moment, and as a result are being, well, grouchy. At times like this I struggle with my responses to them. Or more to the point, not my responses really, but more my attitude. Sometimes I'm tempted to act nice even though I think my efforts could indeed be acting. It would be better if I were just strong and mature enough to honestly bless those who curse, and really not be hurt. Instead, maybe the best I can do is "dishonestly" bless and pretend not to be hurt. Is there any wisdom in the "fake it 'til you make it" idea?

The whole concept of doing good when I feel like doing evil is one I struggle with.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I understand completely! It's the huge issue with Kantian ethics. If you do something for someone out of a sense of duty, not because you genuinely care about that person, does it "count"? I don't know the answer, but I still think about it occasionally. Presumably God is supposed to give us new desires to replace our old ones, but what do we do in the meantime?