Thursday, May 15, 2008

Anger

Today's topic over at ZFT was Be Ye Not Angry, Ever and it has gotten me thinking about the topic.

Anger, like all emotions, is hard to define and harder to control. Further, somehow the effort required to control anger, or other negative emotions, is not evenly distributed among the population--let's face it, some people have a built-in cheery [kind/gentle/caring/etc.] disposition and others, well, don't. It just doesn't seem fair, does it??

Is anger ever justified? I have no problem saying that yes, at times, it is. For instance, if someone hurt one of my children, you'd better believe I'm going to be angry. No, that kind of anger isn't sin. The sin--or not--comes later, after one has opportunity to think thru what actually happened and deal with it--or not.

I personally don't have so much problem with anger, which seems to me to be something more for those who are young and full of energy. I'm getting too old for anger. My problem is more often anger's spinster sister, bitterness. Like a hardened old maid who will never marry, she sees no hope of resolution of what caused the initial anger, and so she becomes bitter.

And yes, I know, the Bible has lots to say about bitterness. :-(

No comments: