Thursday, July 17, 2008

Driving in Seattle


We rented a car to use while we were in Seattle for David's wedding. I think this is the only photo I got showing the minivan, parked here in front of the house we stayed in. A minivan costs twice as much to rent as a little car, but with the number of people we had to get from A to B on numerous occasions, and how few of those people were drivers, we decided to go for the minivan rental. It was pricey, but worth it.

I hate driving. I hate driving anywhere, but I especially hate driving when I don't know where I am or how to get to where I'm going. I hate when people rattle off directions followed by "you can't miss it." I'm having to learn to deal with the fact that under those circumstances, I almost always do miss it. And that is embarrassing when the car is full of people who intimidate me, even if they are non-drivers.

Having gotten that gripe off my chest, here is the rest I have to say about driving in and around Seattle. The bad things: the roads are curvy and hilly, the signs are purposely small and hard to see (some of the suburbs must have signage laws), gas was expensive, traffic can be bad, and the house numbering system was logical but cumbersome. The good things: the HOV lanes on the freeway are organized in a fashion much more sensible than the ones here in Dallas and my friend Janet made more than one trip to SEA airport that I was supposed to make.

No comments: