Saturday, February 20, 2010

New Bird? and Broken Marina



One afternoon this week was warm and sunny so I took an hour out of my busy schedule and ran over to Cedar Hill State Park. Wow, the water level was super high, and you can see the damage that last week's snowstorm did to the marina. I imagine several boats were damaged.

I saw quite of few birds, including this song sparrow:

I spent quite a bit of time looking a the gulls that were sitting on the breakwater. There were hundreds of ring-billed gulls, two double-crested cormornats, and one gull that looked different than all the others. It was noticably larger, had a black or mostly black bill, and a soft buffy mottled coloring, with the tail pretty much the same color. I looked hard in my bird book but the only bird that looked like that lives way north in Canada, so I doubt that was the correct ID. Herring gulls are in this area, so I guess it must be one of those, even if the photo didn't really look like that.

My backyard was a bird heaven today--lots of birds and for the first time we've had a large flock of yellow-rumped warblers. Usually I just see the odd one or two in the tree but today they were swarming the feeders and especially the suet. Stocking up to head north, I guess. Gary also put up a birdhouse for me today. I bought it at our church's Christmas bazaar, and I have no idea if any bird will like it.

No comments: