Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Ruby-Crowened Kinglet

I have pretty much been neglecting this blog of late, in favor of my other one.



There is a Ruby-Crowned Kinglet that I see in my backyard a couple times a week. Today I actually saw the ruby crown! It is just a small strip of red on the very top of its head and often is hidden. They are tiny birds, and I've never seen more than one at a time.

I continue to have lots of birds in my backyard. Some weekends I've seen over 20 species. Lately the flocks of robins and Cedar Waxwings have been stopping by.

Birdstack announced a beta test of a new feature to upload photos to their site. I think I'm going to try to upload the best photo I have for each species. It will take me a few days--too tedious to do all at once. It will be a good excuse to go look at my Ethiopia bird photos again.

2 comments:

tank said...

Do you think this one could have been a ruby-crowned kinglet? I couldn't figure it out, but they look pretty similar.

Thainamu said...

Yeah, I'd guess that could be a ruby-crowned kinglet. Go back to your photo and use software to lighten it up and see if there is a white eye ring.