Tuesday, November 01, 2011

A Month of Thanksgiving

I'm reading a book I was recently given called "One Thousand Gifts" by Ann Voskamp. I'm not finding this book particularly easy to read due to its poetry-prose style. I have to slow down to read it, and maybe that's not such a bad thing.

And even if I don't like the writing style, I certainly am finding the point of the book to be meaningful. In a nutshell: giving thanks to God "solves" a lot of our spiritual, emotional, and social problems because thanks in one's heart means there's little room for anger, worry, fear, pride, etc.

I'm only half way through the book, but I'm determined to finish it soon. I've seen other bloggers do it and I will too: use this space to list 1000 gifts from God that I'm thankful for.*

  1. a month to give thanks
  2. a warm, safe, comfortable place to sleep
  3. too much food in my freezer
  4. fall sunshine--not too hot, not too cold
  5. fall flowers reviving after a hot summer
  6. a peaceful evening
  7. the sparrows have returned
  8. green grass after a dry summer
  9. the internet
  10. the world's two cutest grandbabies
  11. a hot shower to ease away a headache
  12. leftover pumpkin pie
  13. the Bible in a language I can understand
  14. toast and butter
  15. technology to help Gary read
  16. IRL friends
  17. internet friends
  18. green cat eyes
  19. my commissioned portrait
  20. the family who liked #19
  21. people who like their job
  22. afternoon sun through the bedroom window
  23. fall birds finding my backyard feeders
  24. being invited to a business dinner
  25. high-speed internet
  26. clean kitchen floor
  27. half-time job
  28. leftover zucchini cake
  29. God's provision in so many ways
  30. people who listen
  31. people who care
  32. picking up with old friends many years later
  33. the crows' antics with pecans
  34. a little time to read
 *Big and little, important and insignificant, immediate and eternal--there are no real rules on what can or cannot go on this list--just that I am thankful to God for them.

No comments: