Monday, July 19, 2004

Pensive

I'm in a thinking mood right now. We went out to dinner this evening to meet up with a group of friends from our old (now-defunct) church. Most of them I see occasionally, but tonight there were a number of people there I hadn't seen in ages. When you don't see someone for a long stretch, then you do see them, it gives opportunity to reflect on the changes you see over the interval of time.

Some of the kids from my daughter's peer group were there. One with a two-year old, livewire of a son, cute as anything, but with no father. She was there with a guy from that same group, actually someone she had dated four years ago. Yes, I think they should get married.

Another interesting thing was to learn one of the married couples from this now-defunct church has decided to become Roman Catholic. I guess in some ways it isn't a big jump for them because he attended a Catholic HS many years ago, and in recent years they became Episcopalians (after the church went defunct). Being Episcopalian was fine until last summer when the Episcopalians decided to ordain gay clergy. I'm not sure what I think about this.

I'm also feeling a little sad because of A's pending departure.

No comments: