Saturday, November 27, 2004

Homework, Housework, Shopping

I didn't sleep so well last night, and I woke up too early. That gave me time to start the housework before Rachel woke up and wanted me to help her with the homework. So I made turkey soup, cleaned up the kitchen, cleaned my bathroom. Then my neighbor phoned and asked me to go walking with her. Rachel got up and had soup for breakfast (I need to buy some milk!) then we started working on an assignment for her Early Childhood Curriculum class. She had to make up six age-appropriate self-directed educational activities around an insect theme, and they had to be such that they could all be attached to a folding board that could be set up in a classroom.

She came up with six pretty good ideas for the activities, but she needed some help implementing them. So I helped cut and glue and apply contact paper. Due to her birth defect, she is very slow with those kinds of skills, which is unfortunate for a kindergarten teacher. She has thought about this handicap though, and has a brilliant plan for coping: "I'll just get the parents to help me!" And knowing her, she will do just that. Rachel is never lacking in optimism, she's always willing to try, and always willing to ask for help.


So by one o'clock that project was finished. We had some lunch and cleaned up the mess we had made and at 3pm went shoe shopping. At the third store we finally found her a pair of short black boots to replace her old ones with holes in them. I hate shopping and I was getting grouchy, but then I realized that there was really nothing to be grouchy about. Poor Rachel, she loves to shop, but not me.

And then we came home, had some more soup, cleaned up the kitchen, cleaned the other bathroom, vacuumed the floors.

The only other exciting thing that happened today was lending our van to some resourceful MKs who went street shopping and found a couch. No, that is not the same thing as dumpster diving.


2 comments:

Ma Hoyt said...

I am so happy since I finally have all my bookmarked blogs up here on Loren's computer :-)Now, to read the backlogs.

Rachel can come and teach my kids, anytime. I have NEVER gone to that much trouble. They would love to do stuff like that.

We have two couches that were given to missionaries on furlough, and then given to us when they went back to the field. How desperate does that make you, when you get your hand-me-downs from missionaries?

We DO have soup less often than you, so I guess it all balances out :-D

p.s. If you think shopping with one is frustrating, try taking 3 girls to several Goodwill stores. I sure hope you two got some down-home fast food to compensate. I always find a stop at Arby's helps.

Thainamu said...

How desperate? Pretty desperate.