Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Hobbies as Job Training

Today I realized that all the time I've wasted making a personal website, blogging, and talking on a forum have actually taught me some new skills that I needed for my job. Or more to the point, since I learned these new skills, now my boss is giving me new responsibilities.

There are three secretaries in my office, and all three of us are helping to organize logistics for a set of meetings attended by about 30 of our members from around the globe. I've done this kind of thing in the past, and it usually includes finding housing, picking people up from the airport, buying food for coffee breaks, gathering together office supplies, printing and collating paper materials for the meetings. These meetings were no different, except now all the materials are also being kept on a special website. My job is to upload files to this site from anyone in the group. And then tomorrow when they come in with a new version of a document, I have to upload the new one and get rid of the old one.

With these new skills and responsibilities, I'm tempted to try to skip out on the really important work: making coffee.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is my computer skills are not that great yet...but I am sure that my coffee making skills are worse. I cant get over the smell coffee makes...yucky! Good luck with your project
MoM