Sunday, March 05, 2006

How and What to Pray

I didn't go to church today, because I'm sick. Well, I am probably not so sick that I had to stay home, but I didn't think I should work my shift in the nursery, and I didn't want to listen to people say, "Oh, you sound so bad, you should be home in bed." I am feeling better than a couple days ago.

I've been wondering how to pray for the people I love. It seems like I'm not smart enough to know how to pray specifically. I mean, I could be tempted to pray for a certain specific thing or another, but what if that thing isn't what God wants? After all, I'm not omniscient, I don't really know what specific things God wants for a given person.

Instead, I'm looking at God's Word, and finding things from scripture, things I can pray for myself and for others that I know can't possibly be the wrong thing to ask for. I'm using the 1st person singular pronoun here, but it could also be 3rd person.

Lord,
  • make me hunger and thirst for righteousness
  • make me find joy in obeying the Law of the Lord
  • make me meditate on your word day and night
  • help me to draw near to you, oh God
  • let the Spirit direct my life
  • give me your Spirit to make me wise
  • reveal yourself to me
  • open my mind to see your light
  • help me to know the hope you've called me to
  • help me to know how great is the power working in me
  • help me to live a life that measures up to God's standards
  • give me power in the spirit to be strong in my inner self
  • make your home in my heart
  • make my roots and foundation go deep in your love
  • make me come to know your love
  • make me be filled with the very nature of God
  • make my heart and mind new
  • help me be like you
  • control me with your love
...to be continued.

No comments: