Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Red-winged Blackbird, female



I stole this image from the internet, but there were nine of these on my feeder last weekend. I searched the bird book and decided it must be a female red-winged blackbird, but why so many of them with no males? After further research I learned that juvenile birds look like females and also that the birds segregate such that the juveniles and females forage together and the males forage together, explaining why they all looked like females on the feeder.

1 comment:

calm said...

It's always interesting to observe nature in detail. The other day I was watching a spider in my house (it was out of reach so I didn't make an effort to kill it...if it doesn't come near me I won't kill it) that was completely ignoring me. Watching closely I saw it start moving in a sort of a figure-8 pattern while facing the same direction. BEfore I knew it it had wrapped itself in a "cocoon" of webbing from itself. I'm guessing it had something to do with it dying because it didn't move again after that.