Friday, April 28, 2006

50 Years


(I stole this photo from the website below.)

This week SIL has been celebrating 50 years of service in Papua New Guinea. It has been many years since I've been to PNG, but I'm happy to see the celebrations anyway.

In 1976 Gary and I did "Jungle Camp" (boot camp) near Madang before we moved to the Solomon Islands. We had only been married a few months by then. When I think back on it, we had a pretty stressful first year of marriage. I always tell newlyweds the first year is the worst!

We went back to PNG in 1987 with three kids in tow--that turned out to be a miserable trip for me because all three kids had the chicken pox during that trip--one after the other. I may as well have stayed home since the kids and I were banished to our house nearly the entire time we were there.

In the photo above the musicians are playing lengths of bamboo pipes with a rubber flipflop. It makes a cool "Pacific sound."

No comments: