Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Home Alone in the Empty Nest

I started this blog a couple years ago as a way to deal with (dare I say it?) the heartache that I felt from all my kids growing up and leaving home. I think I could fairly be described as a "hands-on" mother. In fact, that would be a kind way to say it, if you know what I mean.

This past year my nest really hasn't been very empty. Last May, after being away for 5 years, Rachel graduated from an out-of-state university and moved back home. (The two boys were already mostly on their own, although with all the chores they give me to do, you might be tempted to think otherwise from time to time.) In general it has been a good thing for me to have Rachel home these past several months. I've enjoyed having her here, talking about the things going on in her life, having someone additional to cook for.

But there are problems with her living with us too, I readily admit. She herself vacillates from enjoying the easy life here, to screaming for a place of her own. Some of the remarks from her friends about my (over)involvement in her life have been hurtful to me (and I'm sure I haven't heard the half of them). The reason they hurt is because they are at least partly true. When I ponder this, I get very sad and think about if I were just not here, there would be no question of whether or not I should be part of a given adult child's life--that question would already be settled. Said child would just have to figure out a way to solve X problem without wondering if he or she should ask mom for help or advice.

Gosh, I'm sounding morose, aren't I? I think part of the problem is that I am feeling a great deal of loss at leaving a forum I used to be a part of. I talked with people there for two years, mostly young people, and I guess I kind of substituted them for kids of my own, and now I've lost them too. I am grieving the loss of those relationships, and feel a little bit angry and bitter because that loss was not caused by any real choice of my own.

Another reason I'm feeling loss is that Rachel is getting more and more independent (that's the good part) and that means she is leaving me too (that's the sad part). She has slowly been gaining independence for some years, but that process has recently gone into high gear. She has recently found a job in her field, bought a car and started driving again, and is making arrangements to have an independent household starting June 1. All of this is what we've wanted for Rachel, and indeed prayed much for, but now that it is really happening, I feel the loss at her leaving me--that empty nest feeling is coming back again.

So, what should I do about it? If I were just a little younger and a little richer, I would seriously consider adopting kids. At this stage, I'm probably too old and can't afford it anyway. Whenever I talk to my husband about these feelings, he hands me a list of projects to do for him. Yes, he's right, I could fill the emptiness by just working more. I mean, that would be good for him, if not necessarily that fulfilling for me.

On personality tests I score right in the middle between extrovert and introvert. I like my time alone, but when I fill up all my time alone with just paperwork and technology, I lose interest and become sad. I need relationships with people too, and that is the best way I can describe the loss I'm feeling.

8 comments:

Nathan said...

I know I'm in no place to be giving advice, but I've been told (usually as a reproof) that using work as a substitute for something else is not healthy. Of course, I use it as a way to take my mind off things (usually female) as well, so I'm even hypocritical there.

In a way, Rachel's situation, or that of anyone living alone or largely alone, is similar. I think the blogosphere is largely composed of people seeking more human contact. We write to say something, or anything, that matters to someone, somewhere.

The point in that, which you already realize, is to say that perhaps you should find other outlets to matter to people. You say adoption isn't an option, but I'm sure there are plenty of other ways to matter to people in real life. Battered women's shelters have lots of kids around who sometimes need entertainment, and mature examples. Their moms do too, for that matter, and Paul enjoins the older women to train those younger who can benefit form their wisdom, c.f. Titus 2.

I don't want to sound like I have any complete answers. I don't, obviously. But I know I've appreciated your advice in the past, and I know others from the BBS did as well. You have a great deal to give, so don't let that discourage you. You may need to find others who can benefit from you more right now is all.

Anonymous said...

awww, mom. You're the best. And if you start feeling lonely, you're welcome to come cook for me anytime. And one of these days I'll get around to having some kids upon which you can dote. I guess I need to get married first though. Love you.

Anonymous said...

we miss you a lot! i wish you could come back, maybe when things mell over a little bit and rachel has moved on.

Have you ever though about foster kids? Man, they would benefit from you soo much! And I don't think you are too old for that! I think you'd be perfect!

Anonymous said...

Hi mom, Your blog makes me sad. I love you. I would call you right now but you are probably still asleep, well maybe I will call you anyways. You were and are too good for us. Love, Andrew

PS. This is also a plea for grandchildren?

Anonymous said...

We miss you, Auntie!! Don't worry, we haven't left. :) I do read your blog whenever I get the chance! :)

MoM said...

Let me also put in a word or two...you are a great Mom and there is no manual on how to raise kids, how to let them go, or just how much to stay involved. With that said..it isa totally personal issue and even varies from child to child on the amount they both need and desire your attention. That same truth is true of husbands as well....even though we only have one of those. As long as God comes first, which he seems to, let him and each child be your guide. Besides, I agree that foster kids are a great idea...and it doesn't cost you much, just time, energy, love, all those things which seem to multiply when you use them.....Just an idea

Thainamu said...

Thank you for your expressions of sympathy and love. I will continue to give thought to your suggestions about ideas for my future too.

Anonymous said...

I have had the same heartache with our sons growing up and leaving home. Funny how some people welcome this stage and others like us find it such a difficult transition. We were thankful when one of our sons returned home but still went ahead with training to be foster parents. That was put on hold due to a health scare, and then lo and behold when that was cleared up our other two sons returned and a friend with them--and our grandsons are here every other weekend--so we no longer have room for foster children! But the exodus seems to be starting again, and I will think of you when our Andrew marries his American sweetheart next month and they begin their married life a twelve-hour drive away...but much closer than Ethiopia so I should count my blessings. And I'm sure that God has a surprise in store to bless and comfort your caring heart.
GrammaMack