Monday, March 26, 2007

Cheap


You can call me cheap if you want to, but I prefer to think of my R-skills (that is: reuse, recycle, repurpose) as my little bit to stave off global warming. Wait, I don't want to talk about global warming--everybody gets up in arms! No, I just think it is sometimes fun to make do.

Anyway, my latest cheapskate trick: when you run out of black ink to refill the printer's black cartridges, use a mix of the extra red-yellow-blue ink. It isn't exactly black, but black enough for most purposes.

Another project I'm in the middle of is making an apron out of a leg of an old pair of jeans that had a hole in the rear. (This project wouldn't work if the jeans had a hole in the knee.)

That reminds me, I want a subscription to the Tightwad Gazette for Christmas.

2 comments:

Caleb Bell said...

I've seen someone make placemats out of old blue jeans as well. I guess that they cut along the inseam, unrolled the leg, and then sewed the pockets back on to hold silverware &c.

Thainamu said...

Back when I was a kid and the dinosaurs were roaming the earth, we used to make skirts out of jeans. You unsew the inner seam, cut the bottom of the leg off and use it to fill out the rest of the skirt. Here's a link because I know you want to get all the details: http://www.uwm.edu/~mlholtz/jeanskirt.htm

Also, once I made a Bible cover out of a pair of jeans.