Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A Stack of Bibles



My "paralyzed" friend, Melchizedek, made a post recently about his inventory of Bibles. That got me to thinking about my life a long time ago. I think it was the spring of 1972. I was in Bible college, on tour with a womens' singing group, visiting a church in Minnesota. Or was it Wisconsin? This poster was on the wall of their church. I was so moved by this poster, which went on to have a profound effect on my life, that I asked someone at the church if I could have it and they obliged.

I know you can't read it (this is a scan of a photo taken in 1974 of the poster as it was a couple years later on my bulletin board). On one side is a stack of Bibles in English. On the other side is a blank sheet of paper. One one side it says, "Dozens of translations of the Bible in English." On the other side it says, "Hundreds of languages without one single verse of the Bible." If I remember correctly, the poster was actually advertising for New Tribes Mission, which I didn't join.

I stayed in that womens' singing group for the three years I was at that college, and each spring we toured. Year three we returned to the same church where I had found this poster two years prior. This time, there was a poster advertising Wycliffe Bible Translators.

And the rest, as they say, is history.

4 comments:

Sharon said...

That's a really interesting story. Thank you for sharing it, Thainamu.

Anonymous said...

a good bit of meesa history that i didn't know.

Anonymous said...

Nice story, Linda.... I was probably right next to you when you were drooling over the picture. We were pretty inseparable back in those days! It's so wonderful to be reconnected again after 30+ years and to recall memories like this. Thanks to YOU for getting us all together online!

Thainamu said...

Yes, and we were probably wearing those ugly PINK dresses that I hated! I sold mine to someone as soon as we were done with them--who would want it??