Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Watching Over You, Part 2

Well, it might in fact be more than part 2!

Yesterday my daughter called me at work, in a panic, saying her work computer wouldn't boot up. She described a computer that had power, but sounded like it was about to die. I went there and tried the hard reboot. No luck. I tried the safe mode boot, and the other types listed on that opening screen. No luck with any of them. I tried about 7 or 8 times. On the 8th time, it booted. In safe mode.

I immediately starting making a back up--you know, the back up she was going to do, oh, 6 weeks ago. Then I went and downloaded the anti-spam software that the IT help desk suggested and let it run. For 1 hour and 7 minutes. It found two items which I said to remove. It said "reboot to complete the process." So I did, or at least I tried to. The next thing was a single beep saying "Fan error." It took its last gasp and died.

So she's still stressed and frustrated and getting further behind with her job, but, on the other hand, she has a backup.

No comments: