Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Moon gazing

At the moment, a total lunar eclipse has just begun. It was raining earlier today, but when the eclipse began at 8:14pm, the clouds had pretty much cleared, and stayed away for the most part until now, 9:23pm. I tried to get someone to watch with me, but without success. G. is legally blind, so he can't see much of the moon so far away. I talked with R. on the phone and sent her outside to look, but it was cloudy in OKC. So the cat and I watched it. I used G.'s binoculars and monocular, and got a pretty good look. I tried several live webcasts on the internet, but they were all clogged up with traffic and I couldn't get through. G. told me that they showed a TV shot of it at from St. Louis where the Red Sox are trying to sweep the Cards in the 4th game of the World Series.

Believe it or not, there was a time in my young life when I wanted to be an astronomer. I think I was in 3rd or 4th grade. I remember one Christmas my parents bought me some kind of kit to build a cardboard telescope, but one crucial piece was missing. 40+ years later I still remember the disappointment of that. (Time to get over it, huh?)

No comments: