Sunday, December 12, 2004

Christmas Gifts

It is that time of year to think about Christmas gifts. There are two primary schools of thought when it comes to gift giving. There is the "hand me your list" way of thinking and there is the "don't ask, don't tell" school of thought.

I grew up in a family that was very open about Christmas gifts. When asked the famous question: "What do you want for Christmas?" these are some typical answers you would hear:
  • "I don't know. I don't really need anything."

  • "About time you asked. Here's my list, written in my best handwriting."

  • "Why don't you just give me money, then I can buy what I want."

  • "Go in with your sister and brother and just buy me a vacuum."

  • "I really need plastic shoe rack."

  • "The same thing you got me last year--new underwear."

My husband's family, on the other hand, does not discuss gift giving. One should be able to think of a good gift. This doesn't always happen, but over the years there have been some nice surprises.

As for me, whenever I'm asked what I want for Christmas, these are the kinds of answers I give:
  • "I don't know. I don't really need anything."

  • "You can't afford what I want."

  • "A gift of your time--clean your office. You can do it all at once, but I'm also willing to accept two hours per month on the installment plan."

  • "The same thing you got me last year--new underwear."

  • "All I want is good kids."


2 comments:

Ma Hoyt said...

This all sounds kinda familiar....

Usually, though, THIS is what happens in our house: Loren buys himself some electronic gadget, that I could NEVER pick out for him, and I say, "Ok, that takes you through your next Christmas, AND your two next birthdays.

Then, when I bought myself a mandolin, (didn't want to face the ridicule of asking him to get it for me :-) I told him, "This is my upcoming birthday AND Christmas present."

Consequently, we never give eachother presents :-)

(by the way, I've done some quick mental calculations and figure he is all set until 2035)

Thainamu said...

A mandolin sounds cool. Someone in our family is getting a hammered dulcimer for Christmas. (And I can say that here in my blog because he thinks he is too busy to read it!) This is a way too expensive gift, but our younger son now has a real job (and two part-time jobs besides that) so for the first time in his life he actually has some discretionary income. "It is about time dad got something besides books and underwear for Christmas," says he. (Though what is wrong with getting books for Christmas, I don't know.)