Friday, February 03, 2006

Car Repairs, Documents, Meetings


Our van has been leaking power steering fluid for quite some time. It got so bad we just had to deal with it this past week. That, and the brakes were making some kind of pulsing. And it needed an oil change too. Since we only have one car, our kind coworkers lent us their gigantic 20 year old pickup truck that gets 8 mpg. Luckily, I only had to make one trip to the grocery store before our van was repaired.

The van needed a new rack and pinion, what ever that is, and the front brake rotors turned, what ever they are. It cost less than buying a new van, and it is running well again, so I'm happy. We'd like to not have to buy a different car for at least another year or two.

Other very good news: my phone call to a certain unnamed country's embassy in Washington DC has resulting in the overnight document getting opened and returned to me one month later. Now I need to send it to Andrew along with over $400 worth of receipts for expenses it has cost me to get all the necessary stamps, signatures, stickers, impressions, certifications, authentications, verifications, translations and red tape.

My coworker and I kept busy at the office this week hosting a meeting of about 12 folks from around the world, folks from various agencies who translate or distribute the Bible. The poor guy from Sri Lanka they almost wouldn't let into the country. I put on a pathetic cereal and bagel breakfast this morning for those of the group staying in the dorm, but many didn't show up since they were still full from eating at Los Lupes last night. Providing snacks for coffee break afforded me the excuse to make some chocolate chip cookies, half of which are still in the freezer.

4 comments:

Freethinker said...

Good for you!

But I was expecting kid #2.

Thainamu said...

Don't be impatient. Anyway, now you can see kid #2, perhaps more of her than you expected. But I did ask her permission before I used that photo!

Anonymous said...

You can send frozen cookies to David so he can share them with his buddies after a hard day of studying and ping pong! And maybe he'll be a good kid and send you a picture of his distinguished haircut.

Thainamu said...

But would he share them, that's what I'd like to know. And if you don't hurry up and send me a photo of his haircut, it will all be grown out again.