Saturday, October 21, 2006

Stuff

My job was pack up a china closet. It contained everything from delicate china that grandma had used for tea parties with her granddaughters to a brittle bird's nest. Also, broken music boxes, faded photographs, and a cross made out of burnt matches--a VBS project, I suspect.

My nose is full of dust and my heart is full of sympathy for Mrs. B who has to make decisions about the stuff she's collected over 30+ years. It might be tempting to be critical of her for never throwing anything away, but on the other hand, I surely feel sorry for her now, having to make a mountain of tiny decisions all at once. That is emotionally exhausting. One thing that makes it hard is that many of these items are gifts from her six kids, all of whom are now grown, and all of whom still love her.

No comments: